Wednesday, June 8, 2011

making a difference.

I'm a terrible public speaker.  I get all sorts of nervous, my armpits start to sweat, I say um & like a lot, and I talk really fast. 

In college I would have panic attacks if I spoke in front of the class.  I generally requested extended writing assignments in order to avoid presentations alltogether.

So when I got invited to go speak at a local middle school for career day, I hesitantly (with good reason!) agreed.

The only reason I agreed was because my dog would be with me. 

After adopting my dog, and realizing how amazing he truly was, I spent a lot of time and effort working with him.  And this past winter we became a certified pet partner team through Delta Society.

This means that I can bring him into hospitals, nursing homes, libraries, schools, etc. and visit with patients or residents and brighten their day.  I LOVE being able to do this.  Volunteering is hugely important to me, and to be able to volunteer WITH my dog; well talk about an incredible opportunity.

So we arrived at the middle school yesterday and were set up in a classroom with immediate outdoor access.  I was then told that I would have 5 groups, each for about 25 minutes, and there would be one break.

The first presentation I gave was pretty sloppy.  I hadn't really prepared, so I just wung (is that a word?) it.  Combine that with a lot of nerves, and let me say speedy talker not making much sense.

Realistically, the kids didn't really care.  My dog stole the show.

After that first presentation, I totally found my groove.  Honestly, my nerves disappeared.  I spoke in chronological order about his training, I made sense, and gave them information on my dog.  One of the teachers even told me that if we were to ask the kids, they would say that my presentation was their favorite.  Talk about a necessary confidence booster.

I think it was because I was talking about something I was truly passionate about, that I was able to pull it together. 

Or maybe it was because my dog provided me with some comfort and confidence.  He makes a difference when we visit others, but he also makes a difference in my life.

His facebook page also became an instant hit with the students.  Seriously, we scored like 30 likes in a matter of minutes once school was out.

Pretty epic.