Tuesday, September 13, 2011

boom.

So at my friend's wedding I met this guy, well re-met is actually more appropriate.  I had met him a few years back, and had several run-ins over the course of the few years.

I was single this time around, as was he.

Obviously I had my big girl pants on (aka I had a number of alcoholic cocktails) and sauntered over and struck up conversation. 

From that point on we had a great time flirting at the wedding and the afterparty.

It actually even led to an invite (from him!) to go out to a party the next night in his neck of the woods, he would even pick me up.  Is it possible to be more gentlemanly than to offer to drive 1.5 hours out of your way to bring a girl to a party?

Seriously.

So we hung out that night, the following weekend, and then another weekend.

He kept up with my sarcastic, ridiculous humor.  He made me laugh.  He didn't attempt a hook-up (seriously 4 different nights in the same bed with alcohol involvement & nothing beyond some make-out sessions!).  He actually listened when I spoke, and could have actual conversations.  Our personalities were quite similar in a number of ways.

Similar but also polar opposite.  He was a city boy, republican, didn't recycle....all that jazz.

Strangely, I liked that he was similar in some ways but also so vastly different.  It made conversation fun. 

Honestly, I don't want to date myself people.  And I could work on the recycling part.

I was effing hooked. 

Which doesn't happen often for me.  Generally I distance myself from someone who shows an interest.  Not this time around - this time I was in it.

Then....boom.  Dwindling texts and ultimately zero future plans.

To which I will not invest myself - as soon as I sense someone back tracking, I'm fucking out.  I will not be the dorker girl clinging to some guy.  No ways.

While I will not cling - I will mentally fixate on the situation.

Like WTF happened, honestly.

We had a great time together, laughed consistently, had normal conversations....it seemed pretty legit.

I'm baffled and irritated.  Actually pissed is more appropriate.

I do the walking away damn it.

Then, I had a conversation with my friend the other day, explaining my frustration over this scenario.

She pointed out....this is exactly what you do the second a guy shows an interest in YOU.

Boom, in reverse.

For example I was chatting with an acquaintance from college for a bit (texting & phone-calls, yada yada), he knew about the whole Montana job opportunity disaster.  So he had flowers sent to my apartment.

BAIL OUT.

First let me point out, I do not like getting flowers.  I think it is a waste of money for something useless.  Chocolate or pizza would be far better choices.

But after the flowers, I immediately began reducing contact.  He was a little over-zealous for my liking.  To the point of now, a week later - I don't talk to him.

So my friend was accurate, this is what I do. 

Vested interest from a male = sayonara sucker.

Maybe this scenario with the boy who had ME hooked is karma.

I suppose I deserve it.

But it still frustrates the fuck out of me.