Friday, August 5, 2011

friday favorites.

My dog ripped open his toenail.

I dropped my river swimming phone, that miraculously turned on after sitting in a bag of rice for a few days, and the power button casually broke.

I dropped a seriously heavy wooden ottoman on my toe and quite honestly thought I broke it.

I love tapped a brick wall with my Jeep, after assuming I had the room for a turn which I didn't, clearly evident by the nice scratched up dent on my bumper.

That's been my week thus far.

Let's skip that junk and move ahead to my faves.

One of the places I want to travel to most of all is Africa.  For so many reasons I can't even begin to explain.  I'm digging this photo of the day shot from National Geographic.  The cheetah, named Juba, has a broken leg so is resting up.

I know I already mentioned this Le Love blog on my post on Wednesday, but I'm revisiting it.  There was a post on risk and I just want to throw an excerpt from the post out there.

"Cinderella walked on broken glass, Sleeping Beauty let her whole life pass, Belle fell in love with a beast, Pocahontas risked her life for a feast, Jasmine could have had anyone but she chose a poor man, and Ariel, she walked on land."

So many people dislike fairytales because it makes us believe in love, believe that a prince will swoop down and save us when something goes wrong. But I’ve come to realise that in every fairytale-like movie, every girl took a risk. Took a risk for love, took a risk in the name of love.

I struggle with the risk bit, because I have zero desire of putting myself in a position of providing someone with the ability to hurt me.

and another Le Love (like I said, I spent a good chunk of time on there the other day!).  This time just an image from a post because it's just so damn true:

New shopping site alert!  Check out Thread Sence, asap.

49 Ways to Live a Kick-Ass Life.  Yes, please.

Over a year ago I was on a flight back home from Vegas and I happened to be sitting next to a supremely nice Boston cop.  After lots of discussion on all sorts of things, he mentioned cruises.  Now, I generally would think I would not like a cruise.  But his thoughts on it kind of intruiged me.  I guess it would depend on where the cruise was going and how much flexibility I would have in terms of doing lots and lots of things, on whether or not I would be down with one (aka I'm not lay by the pool and soak up the sun on vacay type of chica).  This week I happened to find this article, on the world's most scenic cruises.  Now I'm kind of thinking a cruise would be a great way to see a number of different things all on one trip.

Dr. Suess, love him and he has so many quotes that are so applicable.  One of my personal faves:

Being crazy isn't enough.

Because it's not.

Finally, I just need to acknowledge this sculpture

Enjoy your weekend readers!